> ALTERNATIVE VIEW
Laptop Computer Loan
The S. E. Wimberly Library at Boca Raton has
PC and Mac laptop
computers available for checkout. These laptops are available at the Library Media Center (LY 122)
for IN-LIBRARY USE ONLY.
Borrower Use and Liability:
- Laptops may only be checked out by current FAU and PBSC South Campus
students, faculty and staff with a valid Library Card (for FAU students,
faculty and staff, this would be an “Owl Card”) and a 2nd form of photo
- All borrowers must sign an
FAU Library Laptop Computer Loan
Agreement, accepting responsibility for the repair or replacement of
the laptop (up to $2,000) and/or peripherals (up to $500) in the event of
damage. This agreement will be signed once
per semester. Prices may vary depending upon current replacement costs.
- Borrowers may not attach their own hardware to the laptops. Borrowers may
not install their own software, or change system settings.
- A printable version of the
FAU Library Laptop Computer Loan
Agreement is available at:
- LAPTOPS SHOULD NEVER BE LEFT UNATTENDED.
The library is not responsible if a laptop or laptop peripherals are stolen or
damaged during a borrower's loan period. YOU are responsible for the laptop
and all peripherals until YOU have returned it and it is checked in.
- Laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis and may not be
reserved or held for individual or group use.
- Laptops may be borrowed for a 3 hour time period.
- Laptops are to remain in the library for the duration of the loan period,
and may be renewed once, if no one else is waiting.
- Laptops will stop circulating two (2) hours before the library closes
and all laptops are due back one (1) hour before the library closes
regardless of when they were checked out.
- Laptops must be returned to a Media Center or Circulation employee. DO NOT leave the
laptop unattended at the Media Center Desk or Circulation Desk.
- Laptops can be checked out from and returned at the Circulation Desk when
the Media Center is closed. For library hours, click here: (http://www.library.fau.edu/geninfo/hours.htm).
Fines and Replacement/Damage Charges:
- Overdue fines will accrue at $10.00 per hour, or any portion thereof, up
to 24 hours. Once a laptop is 24 hours overdue, it will be considered lost and
the borrower will be fined the maximum $2000.
- Replacement cost of lost, damaged, or stolen laptop peripherals will be no
more than $500 plus the accrued overdue fine.
- The cost of the laptop is $2,000 if the
entire unit is damaged or not returned. These charges will be subject to the
same collection procedures that are used for fines or fees for damaged or lost
PC Laptop Specifications:
- Dell Latitude D600
Processor: 848215, 1.4GHZ
Hard Drive: 30G
Dual In-Line Memory Module, 2GB
Wireless: MINI PCI CARD
Microsoft Office 2007
Windows Media Player
Windows Movie Maker
Mac Laptop Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz
Hard Drive: 160G
RAM: 4GB DDR3
Wireless Card: 802.11n
Battery Life and Performance:
- Each PC laptop will include one battery (Mac laptops come with A/C
adapters). One fully charged battery has an
expected life of about 3-4 hours for average usage; certain operations (i.e.,
wireless operation or DVD viewing) will shorten battery operating time.
- We are not responsible for lost information due to loss of battery power;
it is the sole responsibility of the laptop borrower
to make sure that all user created information is properly saved and that the
laptop is sufficiently charged.
- When a laptop is in need of recharging, you may exchange
it for one that is charged or a charged battery.
- Laptop borrowers may save files to a writable CD, DVD, or a USB
memory key; all/any of these must be provided by the laptop borrower. Once
saved, files may also be sent via email if the laptop is connected to the
Connecting to the Internet:
- Once the laptop boots up, there will be a document on the desktop with
instructions on how to connect to the Internet.
Support and Help:
- Library staff are not responsible for teaching patrons how to use software
- For assistance with library resources such as library catalogs, indexes,
electronic journals, or research databases, please go to the
located on the first floor of the library.
Portable Data/Video Projector:
- A portable data/video projector is available for checkout with a laptop.
- In addition to the requirements for a laptop loan, a study room key must
be presented for checkout of the projector.
- The fines and replacement/damage charges are the same for the projector as
for the laptop:
- Overdue fines will accrue at $10.00 per hour, or any portion
thereof, up to 24 hours. Once a projector is 24 hours overdue, it will be
considered lost and the borrower will be fined the maximum $2000.
- Replacement cost of lost, damaged, or stolen projector
peripherals will be no more than $500 plus the accrued overdue fine.
- ** The cost of the projector is $2,000 if the entire unit is
damaged or not returned. These charges will be subject to the same
collection procedures that are used for fines or fees for damaged or lost
If you would like to use your own laptop in the library or connect your laptop
to our wireless network, please see the FAU Office of Information Technology (OIT) webpage for connecting your laptop.
FAU LIBRARY LAPTOP COMPUTER LOAN AGREEMENT:
I have read this policy and agree to accept responsibility for any damages,
loss or overdue fines associated with this borrowed laptop.
|Date & Time Checked Out:
|Name (Please Print):