University Support Personnel Staff (SP) Positions
Personnel Services (OPS) Positions
(The contact for student
or part-time positions is T.B.A. Please call the FAU Libraries
Administration Office at 561-297-6762.)
Assistant Dean of Libraries for Research and Collections
Position Number: 991620
Position Type: Faculty
S.E. Wimberly Library
Salary: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Job Posting Date: 11/23/16
Job Close Date: 1/31/17
Reporting to the Dean of University Libraries, the newly created position of Assistant Dean for Research and Collections will provide strategic
vision, policy and program development, and leadership as the Libraries redefine their collections and support for research in the context of
emerging trends in scholarly communication, changing formats and access models, shared collections, and new definitions of research collections.
The Assistant Dean contributes to Libraries-wide leadership for innovative program and content development in support of the Universityís mission
through the Librariesí units that comprise Special Collections, Interlibrary Loan, Government Documents, and Collection Management. Responsibilities
of these areas include developing and maintaining strong, user-focused collections (print and electronic) in support of the Universityís
academic programs at all campuses; strengthening support for and the reliability of Interlibrary Loan services; reviewing and enhancing the role
of Government Documents in support of research and academic programs; building, strengthening, and increasing the use of and support for all
Special Collections including: Jaffe Center for Book Arts, Recorded Sound Archives, Print Music Collection, Marvin & Sybil Weiner Spirit of
America Collection, and University Archives. The Assistant Dean works closely with Technical Services and the Head of Collection Management
in monitoring the collections budget for the Boca Raton Campus (in excess of $3 million), and works in close collaboration on collections with
colleagues in the College of Medicine and on the Jupiter, Harbor Branch, and Fort Lauderdale campuses, as well as with colleagues in the
joint-use facility with Broward College in Davie.
The Assistant Dean for Research and Collections is a member of the Libraries Senior Management Team, which also includes the Dean, the Assistant Dean for Public Services,
the Assistant Dean for Information Technology, Assessment, and Project Management, and a fourth Assistant Deanís position whose portfolio is still being defined. Works
closely with the Dean and other Assistant Deans on areas of strategic importance for the Libraries and the University and assists in articulating an innovative vision of
library services. Serves as a member of the Libraries Leadership Team, which includes the Dean, Assistant Deans, and department and unit heads. Under the leadership of a
new Dean, the Libraries are in the process of realigning their organizational structure and services to position them more strategically and effectively to support the
current and future needs of FAUís students, faculty, and the broader community.
Specific duties include: assisting with the implementation of a new Strategic Plan; leading a program review of assigned areas of responsibility; providing leadership for
collection decisions made in the context of changing user needs, emerging formats and access models, the continuing transition from a primarily print to a primarily
electronic environment, and constrained financial resources; providing leadership and coordination for policies and processes related to the development and management of
all collections and improving usersí access to those collections; working with colleagues to develop a comprehensive program to support the Universityís research mission;
ensuring responsible stewardship of the collections budget (approximately $3.5M annually), as well as donorsí investment in Librariesí content and collections; promoting
the development and creative use of the Librariesí varied Special Collections; mentoring and promoting the ongoing professional development of faculty and staff in the
reporting units; working with colleagues to communicate the Librariesí collection strategy and policy to the campus community; and serving as backup for the Dean as needed.
Master's degree in Library or Information Science or its equivalent required.
Minimum of seven years of successful post-master's experience as a librarian in an academic library, with a record of significant professional achievement in patron
service and collections required.
- Expert knowledge of current issues and opportunities in academic libraries required.
Minimum of five years in a leadership role, such as a department or unit head, in an academic library in one or more of the areas of primary responsibility for the
- Ability to articulate a strategic vision for collections and research support in a rapidly evolving information landscape required.
- Proven track record of innovation and new program implementation with a focus on exceptional customer service required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with evidence of effective and collegial interactions across all departmental and administrative levels required.
- Prior experience mentoring and supporting the development of staff at all levels required.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion required.
- Demonstrated record of scholarship and contributions to the profession through peer-reviewed publications in librarianship or conference presentations at national or
international library or related conference sufficient to be appointed at the rank of Associate Librarian required.
- Prior experience working within a university or college required.
- Experience working with complex budgets required.
- Successful change management experience preferred.
- Experience working in a multi-campus environment or in multi-institutional consortia preferred.
- Experience with strategic planning and project management preferred.
- Experience procuring or managing grants preferred.
- Experience licensing scholarly content and working with vendors preferred.
- A second master's or a Ph.D preferred.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish, French or additional language preferred.
For additional information about the position and the Libraries, visit the website at: http://www.library.fau.edu/asstdeanposition.htm
At this time, there are no AMP job openings at the FAU Libraries.
At this time, there are no SP job openings at the FAU Libraries.
At this time, there are no
OPS job openings at the FAU Libraries.