REAL MAIL FRIDAYS
Every Friday, from wherever you are
We may not be able to gather together at the Jaffe Center for Book Arts each First Friday of the month, but we can still celebrate Real Mail Fridays. And, we figure, why not do it every Friday? Our suggestions:
1. Buy yourself some stamps. In these days of quarantining at home, you'd do best to buy them online from the Post Office. Go to https://store.usps.com/store/home and shop away! We happen to like commemorative stamps best, but you'll find a wide array to choose from. There's a small charge for shipping, but you get to stay home and you're also supporting a great institution, the United States Postal Service.
2. Gather your materials. You'll need paper, envelopes, pens. Maybe you'll need art supplies? Whatever you feel like sending out to the world will determine what you'll need. Use what you have at home. Nothing fancy is required.
3. Choose your soundtrack. May we suggest music that inspires you? Music that makes you tap your toes at just the right moments and at other times, makes you look up in wonder. If you're looking to replicate our typical Real Mail Fridays soundtrack, look for music by the likes of Billy Holiday, Kate Bush, Jane Siberry, Yann Tiersen, Poi Dog Pondering, Ella Fitzgerald, the Guillemots, Agnes Obel, First Aid Kit, Van Morrison, Patsy Cline.
4. Brew some coffee, or some tea, black or green, or some herbal tea. Have a cookie, if you'd like.
5. Wash your hands for 20 seconds and then get to work. Take time to savor the experience of putting pen to paper and connecting across time and space with people you miss. They may be halfway 'round the planet. They may be your neighbors up the road. No matter who they are, they'll appreciate you checking in on them. When you're done, don't lick the envelope; seal it with a bit of water instead.
No matter what, stay home if you can. Stay safe so matter what. We love you and can't wait to see you when Real Mail Fridays resume again at JCBA. Until then, we are,