Affiliated Users Served by Reference & Instructional Services
- FAU administration, faculty, staff, and students
- Broward College and Palm Beach State College
administration, faculty, staff, and students
- State University System administration, faculty, staff, and students
- Friends of the FAU Libraries
- FAU Alumni Association members
- Florida Atlantic University benefactors
General Instructional Services
- Library Orientations:
50-minute sessions that provide an overivew of library services and resources; also available individually to
faculty and staff.
- Subject- or Topic-Specific Library Instruction: 50-minute sessions* with a focus on discipline-specific library information sources or topics.
- Workshops: 50-minute sessions* that discuss topics related to using information for academic purposes such as plagiarism, ethical uses of information, and web evaluation.
- Reference Consultations: one-on-one or small group consultations that focus on a specific research question, search strategies, or using relevant library and information sources.
*Workshops and library instruction can be 50 minutes, 1 hour and 20 minutes (80 minutes), or 1 hour and 50 minutes (110 minutes); multiple sessions can also be done by request.
Orientations andSubject-Related Library Instruction
Affiliated users are invited to arrange sessions when students need to
use the library, learn about general or subject-specific information
sources, or discuss the use of information for academic purposes. All
requests should be confirmed within 2 business days.
In order to create a positive learning experience, affiliated users should communicate with their assigned librarian instructor to plan the session. See examples of creating assignments that utilize the library at
Creating Quality Library Research Assignments or by contacting your
subject specialist librarian.
Requirements for Orientations and Instruction
- A minimum of 1 to 2 weeks' notice is required to
ensure your preferred date(s) and to facilitate scheduling.
- Affiliates are required to accompany their students
because it has proven to enhance the effectiveness of instruction.
- Affiliates are required to provide
their syllabus or relevant assignment in their request to assist with
lesson planning and to maximize student learning.
Location of Library Instruction Session
The instruction studio in S.E. Wimberly Library is available with 35 computers and offers hands-on instruction. Please indicate in your request if your preferred location is there or in your regularly scheduled classroom.
Each semester, FAU Libraries offer scheduled
on library information sources (e.g., business resources, government documents)
and issues related to using information for academic purposes (e.g., APA
citation style, evaluation of information). Workshops on discipline-related databases and
information sources are offered as needed or by request. Reservations are
recommended and can be made through the
Affiliates are aencouraged to offer extra credit to their students for workshop attendance; a certificate of completion can be provided as documentation.
Affiliated patrons can
request a research consultation online or at a library service desk. These
can be done in-person, by phone, or virtually. Requests may be confirmed by
phone or email within two business days.
Questions or Suggestions
Contact Reference and Instructional Services at
firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (561) 297-4318.
Return to Reference Department & ILIS Policies