Applications will only be accepted through the University’s official portal for this position at:
Established in 1964 as the first public university in southeast Florida, FAU currently serves more than 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students on multiple campuses located along Florida's beautiful southeast coast in Broward, Palm Beach, and St. Lucie counties. FAU has ten distinguished colleges that offer more than 180 degree programs, including the new Schmidt College of Medicine, and is home to one of the world's preeminent marine science education and research centers, the Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute. FAU is taking its place among the world's great research centers and has been given the designation of a "High Research Activity" university by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. FAU was ranked 27th by U.S. News & World Report among all American universities for campus diversity, with 49% of its student body classified as minority or international students. In 2015, it earned the distinction of being a federally designated Hispanic Serving Institution.
FAU Libraries house approximately 3.7 million items and provide access to over 80,000 electronic journals, nearly 500 databases, and a growing collection of e-books and streaming videos. The Libraries house many distinctive collections including artists' books, sound recordings, print music, rare books and manuscripts, and University Archives. The S.E. Wimberly Library serves as a selective depository library in the Federal Depository Library Program and is also a depository library in the Florida State Depository System. The Digital Library creates online collections from unique materials from Special Collections and University Archives and serves as the University's repository for the intellectual output created on campus.
The Libraries offer multifaceted instructional services including workshops, research consultations, tutorials and webcasts as well as broad-based creative outreach programming that encourages student and public engagement. The Libraries maintain formal relationships with the Center for Research Libraries, the State University Libraries (through the Florida Virtual Campus) and area libraries in the Southeast Florida Library Information Network. The Libraries have an annual budget of approximately $8 million with over 90 faculty and staff to support its mission.
This is an exciting time to consider a leadership role at the Florida Atlantic University Libraries. Under the leadership of a new Dean, the Libraries are in the process of realigning their organizational structure and services to position them more strategically and effectively to support the current and future needs of Florida Atlantic University’s students, faculty, and the broader community. FAU Libraries are committed to developing and strengthening partnerships with the colleges and other units in support of the University’s mission of excellence and innovation in teaching, outstanding research and creative activities, public engagement and distinctive scientific and cultural alliances, as well as its strong commitment to the success of all students and opportunities for lifelong learning. The Libraries are in the process of developing a new strategic plan and mission.
Reporting to the Dean of University Libraries, the Director of Information and Engagement for the FAU Libraries will lead a team of three professional staff in the development and implementation of strategies that facilitate and generate maximum support for the FAU Libraries within the University, the State University System, and the broader community. This will include effective communication about library programs and services, planning events and activities to engage the FAU and the broader community, and assisting with the development of a portfolio of giving opportunities. Working in conjunction with FAU Foundation staff, the will be responsible for managing relationships with donors and donor prospects, as well as a portfolio of major individual, corporate and Foundation donors.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist with the implementation of a new Libraries' Strategic Plan and mission communicating its value and impact to the University and the broader community.
- Work as a strategic partner with the Dean of University Libraries, providing support on communications, as well as campus and donor relations. Review financial statements, advancement activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas needing cost reduction and program improvement.
- Direct and coordinate the Library Information and Engagement unit, in accordance with the priorities established by the Dean and the Libraries Leadership Team. Actively mentor and promote the ongoing professional development and full engagement of staff in the unit.
- Keep the Dean apprised of unit activities and metrics through monthly meetings and quarterly reports.
- Oversee implementation of the strategic communications plan, including the development of marketing materials, for FAU Libraries to increase awareness of its collections, services and resources among users, donors and friends. Collaborate across Libraries' divisions and campuses providing leadership and coordination for policies and processes related to communications using all media.
- Coordinate the development and marketing of an annual report for the FAU Libraries.
- Ensure that key leadership communications (especially presentations and messages from the Dean) and initiatives are conceived, planned, prepared and executed.
- Coordinate regular all-staff meetings and assist with internal communications, as requested by the Dean's Office.
- Support the donor development and stewardship activities of the Dean, including developing and managing future boards and engaging members and prospects concerning their personal philanthropy.
- Manage donor acknowledgements and overall stewardship of in-kind and monetary gifts for the Libraries.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to develop and administer policy related to receipt of in-kind and monetary gifts in order to ensure receipt of materials and funds that support the libraries' strategic plan and mission, responsible stewardship of collections, development of appropriate events and exhibits, and responsiveness to donors.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
- Master's degree and six years of relevant marketing, event planning, and fundraising experience in higher education or with non-profits; or a Bachelor's degree and eight years of relevant marketing, event planning, and fundraising experience in higher education or with non-profits required. Experience in higher education preferred.
- At least three years of successful experience in a supervisory role required.
- A record of successful community engagement required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Expert knowledge of current issues and opportunities in higher education philanthropy required.
- A proven track record of innovation and new program implementation with a focus on exceptional customer service and constituent relations required.
- The ability to articulate a strategic vision for communications and strategic engagement, including fundraising, in a rapidly evolving higher education landscape required.
- Proficient in the use of Word, database, spreadsheet, and presentation applications and with prospect management systems required.
- Experience working with complex budgets required.
- A strong record of mentoring and supporting the development of staff at all levels and including all levels of staff in decision-making, as appropriate required.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion required.
- Experience working in a multi-campus environment or in multi-institutional consortia preferred.
- Experience with strategic planning and project management preferred.
- Successful experience procuring or managing grants preferred.
- Proficiency in Spanish, French or another language other than English preferred.
- Successful change management experience preferred.
- Valid driver's license is required.
Salary Range$70,000 to 82,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To learn more about the FAU Libraries services and programs, visit the Libraries’ website at: http://www.fau.edu/library
Florida Atlantic University is a public institution and member of the State University System of Florida and is an Equal Opportunity/ Equal Access Institution.
In addition to the Libraries’ website at: http://www.fau.edu/library/, applicants may find it useful to review the following Google site for additional background information: http://committees.faulibs.com/
Applications will only be accepted through the University’s official portal for this position at: https://jobs.fau.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=61967