Applications will only be accepted through the University’s official portal for this position at:
Established in 1964 as the first public university in southeast Florida, FAU currently serves more than 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students on multiple campuses located along Florida's beautiful southeast coast in Broward, Palm Beach, and St. Lucie counties. FAU has ten distinguished colleges that offer more than 180 degree programs, including the new Schmidt College of Medicine, and is home to one of the world's preeminent marine science education and research centers, the Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute. FAU is taking its place among the world's great research centers and has been given the designation of a "High Research Activity" university by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. FAU was ranked 27th by U.S. News & World Report among all American universities for campus diversity, with 49% of its student body classified as minority or international students. In 2015, it earned the distinction of being a federally designated Hispanic Serving Institution.
FAU Libraries house approximately 3.7 million items and provide access to over 80,000 electronic journals, nearly 500 databases, and a growing collection of e-books and streaming videos. The Libraries house many distinctive collections including artists' books, sound recordings, print music, rare books and manuscripts, and University Archives. The S.E. Wimberly Library serves as a selective depository library in the Federal Depository Library Program and is also a depository library in the Florida State Depository System. The Digital Library creates online collections from unique materials from Special Collections and University Archives and serves as the University's repository for the intellectual output created on campus.
The Libraries offer multifaceted instructional services including workshops, research consultations, tutorials and webcasts as well as broad-based creative outreach programming that encourages student and public engagement. The Libraries maintain formal relationships with the Center for Research Libraries, the State University Libraries (through the Florida Virtual Campus) and area libraries in the Southeast Florida Library Information Network. The Libraries have an annual budget of approximately $8 million with over 90 faculty and staff to support its mission.
This is an exciting time to consider a leadership role at the Florida Atlantic University Libraries. Under the leadership of a new Dean, the Libraries are in the process of realigning their organizational structure and services to position them more strategically and effectively to support the current and future needs of Florida Atlantic University’s students, faculty, and the broader community. FAU Libraries are committed to developing and strengthening partnerships with the colleges and other units in support of the University’s mission of excellence and innovation in teaching, outstanding research and creative activities, public engagement and distinctive scientific and cultural alliances, as well as its strong commitment to the success of all students and opportunities for lifelong learning. The Libraries are in the process of developing a new strategic plan and mission.
The Florida Atlantic University Libraries seek an innovative, forward-thinking, and inquisitive librarian to join the Collection Management Team as Collection Development Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Collection Management, the incumbent will play a lead role in selecting, assessing, and deselecting resources that comprise the Libraries’ general electronic collections as well as the print collections of the S.E. Wimberly Library on the Boca Raton Campus.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties
- Take a lead role in the selection, assessment, and disposition of general library resources in all formats.
- Coordinate the collection development activities of subject liaisons.
- Assist in the planning and evaluation of the library’s collections. With the department head, develop a strong program of collection assessment. Work with subject liaisons and lead collection assessment activities for program reviews, accreditations, and course proposals.
- Support and actively participate in the current weeding initiatives that have been implemented to ensure that the collections remain viable and continue to support the curricular, instructional, and programmatic needs of the university students, faculty, and staff.
- Collaborate widely throughout the Libraries and the university to develop and support diverse user-centered collections that are inclusive of the needs of all persons in the communities served by the Libraries.
- Implement the Libraries’ collection development goals in support of the university’s teaching and research programs, especially its Pillars and Platforms, and the information needs of students, faculty, and staff with the best and most cost-effective resources.
- Serve as a subject liaison to one or more departments in the College of Science, or in other areas as needed. Develop expertise in and keep current with resources available in select subject areas and cultivate partnerships with academic departments in order to anticipate and serve their research and curricular needs. Select, deselect, evaluate, and assess print and electronic resources in assigned areas.
- Manage the subject profiles of the approval and patron-driven acquisition plans, and work with the Business Manager and other colleagues to monitor the Libraries’ materials budget.
- Work with library administration, the department head, subject liaisons, and other staff in the division in revising collection development policies for the general, electronic, special, reference, digital, and government documents collections.
- Coordinate the gifts program and process and review book donations.
- Contribute to the department’s outreach efforts, including the promotion of electronic and print resources to the university community, and through in-person training and social media initiatives.
- Participate in the development and marketing of programs in support of faculty and student research endeavors.
- Serve on library, university, regional, state, and/or professional organization committees.
- Establish and sustain a program of high quality research and/or creative accomplishments appropriate to collection development and collection analysis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library or Information Science or its equivalent
- Strong knowledge of current collection development issues, trends, and practices
- Broad knowledge of current trends in higher education, academic libraries, the publishing industry, and the changing scholarly communication environment
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and work both independently or as part of a team with colleagues, faculty, and staff in a rapidly changing and dynamic environment
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, especially Excel
- Two years post master's professional academic library experience
- Experience in collection development work as a selector or subject liaison in an academic library
- Familiarity with online ordering systems such as GOBI
- Experience working with specialized and diverse vendors, publishers, and approval plans
- Experience working with budgets
- Experience training staff
Position is a non-tenure earning faculty position at the rank of Assistant University Librarian on a 12-month contract renewal basis.
To learn more about the FAU Libraries services and programs, visit the Libraries’ website at: http://www.fau.edu/library
Florida Atlantic University is a public institution and member of the State University System of Florida and is an Equal Opportunity/ Equal Access Institution.
In addition to the Libraries’ website at: http://www.fau.edu/library/, applicants may find it useful to review the following Google site for additional background information: http://committees.faulibs.com/
Applications will only be accepted through the University’s official portal for this position at: https://jobs.fau.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=62507